If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to donate to the relief efforts in Japan, Verizon has developed a mobile giving program to make it as simple as a text message to give to those in need. The company announced on Sunday that customers can use their mobile phones to make $10 donations to a host of non-profit organizations responding to the earthquake and subsequent tsunami.
All it takes from the user to donate $10 is a simple text message to any one of the nine organizations that are helping in the relief efforts. Another positive about this program is that they will waive all text-messaging charges for customers donating to one of the organizations, something Verizon Wireless has always done in the past with relief efforts. Another plus is that the $10 in its entirety, will go to the specified organization. For Verizon Wireless customers who pay monthly bills, the $10 donations will appear in customers’ next regular monthly bill. For customers using the company’s prepaid services, the $10 donations will be taken from customers’ prepaid balance.
The following is a complete list of the participating organizations along with the specific word and number you are to text:
• ADRA Relief: text SUPPORT to 85944
• American Red Cross Relief: text REDCROSS to 90999
• Convoy of Hope: text TSUNAMI or SUNAMI to 50555
• GlobalGiving: text JAPAN to 50555
• International Medical Corps: text MED to 80888
• Mercy Corps: text MERCY to 25383
• Salvation Army: text JAPAN to 80888
• Save the Children Federation, Inc.: text JAPAN or TSUNAMI to 20222
• World Relief Corp. of National Association of Evangelicals: text WAVE to 50555
• World Vision, Inc.: text 4JAPAN or 4TSUNAMI to 20222